2) Use a monochromatic color scheme on the furniture, rugs and walls. Select different shades and textures of your single color.
3) Recessed spot lighting is visually appealing and is perfect for a small space. A torchiere light is great for bouncing light off of the ceiling and back down on the room. Skylights and solar tubes are natural alternatives for adding light to a room.
4) Avoid the number of accessories to avoid the cluttered feeling
5) Light colored flooring such as light oak or light-colored carpet will make the room appear brighter and more open. Use a light color or white on the ceiling to open up the space above.
6) Add wall mirrors or mirror tiles to mirror an entire wall, your room will appear double in size.
7) Don’t place too many pieces of furniture in a small space. A love seat may work better than a full size sofa depending the size and shape of a room. Add two medium sized chairs or two small wood chairs. Place chairs closer to the wall and then pull them into the area when additional seating is needed.
8) Add paintings or prints to the wall. One large painting works better than a group of small paintings/prints.
9) Visual balance of a room is important. A large, brightly colored element can overwhelm a room and decrease the appearance of space.