Winter has arrived along with the rain and cold. Follow these tips to help keep your family warm this winter:
- Have HVAC systems cleaned and inspected to ensure optimum efficiency and safety. Change the filter and check its condition monthly.
- Inspect the weather-stripping and caulking around all windows, doors and any openings for utility services.
- Remove window air conditioners if possible, or install an air conditioner cover to eliminate drafts.
- Keep fireplace dampers closed tightly when not in use.
- Reverse the rotation of ceiling fan blades. During the winter, blades should spin so the warm air that has risen can be re-distributed around the room.
- Switch to more energy-efficient lighting, such as CFLs (compact fluorescent light bulbs), which use about 75% less energy than standard incandescent bulbs and last up to 10 times longer.